1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Why You NEED TO REPLACE Original brake lines w/pics

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by bigfitz52, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Abaton6

Abaton6 New Member

I have a 67 Mini Cooper. One day, the rear brakes would not let go. Turned out that the rubber brake lines swelled up inside, and were acting like a check valve. I barely got the car home!

Andy Dobkins likes this.
  2. PJC750

PJC750 Member

3. tj.

tj. Active Member

Thanks for posting...on the to do list.

4. xxlimzxx

xxlimzxx New Member

I’m having a really hard time trying to find the date code on the lines and none of theses pictures are helping. Could someone help me out?

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They are stamped on the lines with white ink. The line is stamped before it's cut to attach the banjo fittings, so it can be anywhere along the length of the line. If you can't see any markings, and it's the OEM type rubber line, then it's safe to assume they are far too old to still be in service.

6. husky

husky Member

Might go braided lines.as mine are origional.1985 and is hard but passed mot. ? grrrr

7. Beer

Beer New Member

I know I'm pretty late to the game here, but some of the posters early on had a lot of questions that I believe were geared towards trying to justify using old lines, or at least finding exceptions to what people were recommending.

Rubber breaks down with time, it oxidizes, off gasses plasticizers, loses plasticity, and hardens with exposure to chemicals and the elements and from being cycled. Many countries have limits on tires of 5 years from the date of manufacture due to the rubber breaking down from oxidation and UV exposure. Why risk it with brake lines that are decades past the recommended usable life whether installed original lines or NOS?

Running 40 year old rubber lines, unless hermetically stored in an oxygen free environment (those would be some expensive lines at this point), is begging for issues. In addition to the inner hose breaking down and pinch points and hard bends compressing and weakening the hose as shown above, the loss of elasticity allows the hose to expand quite excessively (think worn out elastic bands, they stretch further as they wear out, but don't return to their original diameter). This expansion is a significant reduction in braking power. The hose is expanding, giving a larger volume for the fluid, which means you are not building as much pressure in the system for the same pull of the lever. Pumping the brakes to build enough pressure to stop quickly is not preferred on a motorcycle. The risk of inducing a slide with the front tire in that type of situation, or coasting into the back of a car instead of actually stopping, or heading into oncoming traffic at a slightly reduced speed trying to avoid an obstacle isn't worth saving $100-$150.

I don't like spending money where I don't have to and $150 is 25% of what I paid for my bike. Justifying braided lines is tough, but one bad stop quickly changed my mind on that.

Stand in front of the bike, give a quick hard pump of the front brake like a hard stop, and watch the lines. See how much a set of 30-40 year old rubber lines expand.
    Even if the rubber particles clogging the M/C or caliper wasn't a concern, or the cracking and leaking, or potentially rupturing wasn't an issue, the loss of braking power alone should be enough to prompt replacing the lines with something much newer.

XJ550FirstTimeBuilder and XJ550H like this.
  8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Beer
    yamaha wants a complete rebuild every 4 years.
    going ss over rubber is a personal choice but the ss will last a longer time than oem rubber.

I agree with you on the importance of being able to stop in a timely manner.

I like to rebuild calipers and MC on every bike I ride. new lines to stay inline with the maintance schedule and ss on oned I ride the most.
    new shoes for the rear.

situational awareness is the most improtant part in the brake system. no matter how good your system is being aware of whats happening in front of you is the best tool.

I have seen many videos that suggest working your brake like an abs system to stop you quicker rather than a hard lock up stop.
    if the bike cant stop it shouldent be rode

9. Brent NZ

Brent NZ Active Member

The Seca 650 has 3-80 stamped on the lines - has anyone got an XJ with older brake hoses?
    They have been removed & are being replaced.

Attached Files:

• xx.JPG
      xx.JPG
      File size:
      253.6 KB
      Views:
  10. KeithK

KeithK New Member

New here to the page. In the process of updating/upgrading my 81 XJ650. I’m trying to replace my lines and master cylinder. Any suggestions? Can I rebuild the old one?

11. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yup you can rebuild existing. Chacal runs the best XJ parts shop in existence, you can email him with what you need or click on the Everything XJ logo in the upper right corner of this page for the catalog. The catalog is a little tricky to navigate at first but he has almost every part available and the knowledge and service is second to none.

Rodney Watson and XJ550H like this.
  12. KeithK

KeithK New Member

Thank you for the help!!

13. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Member

14. DarinAdkins

DarinAdkins Member

Great informative brake passage having vast variety of knowledge regarding brakes. Not a single parts manufacturing company give life time warranty of any product. So riders must be aware of tempting and appealing motorcycle replaceable objects, the way you shared your experience of brake changings is just extra ordinary especially you elaborated with pictures.