1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Wrecked Bike Need Guidance!

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by HT_Legend, Jan 5, 2022.

1. HT_Legend

HT_Legend New Member

I have a 1996 xj600 and it needs work done I'll show what needs to be done thru this video below but I really need guidance on what I should do to try to fix it any help is really appreciated.
    I have no clue what needs to be done and some advice would help.

2. Dan Gardner

Dan Gardner Well-Known Member Premium Member

I don't want to sound like a dickfer, but the three cardinal requirements are fuel, compression, and ignition. If it won't run on starter fluid, have you checked ignition????

3. HT_Legend

HT_Legend New Member

I'm kind of a novice when it comes to motorcycle repair but by ignition, if u mean putting the key in and turning it in the on position yes it works but for some reason, if as soon as i connect the battery terminals it just wants to start cranking.

4. Dan Gardner

No, sorry. By ignition I mean spark - if the spark plugs are not doing their job to ignite the fuel/air mixture, then there is no running engine. We need to ensure that the spark plugs are firing.

5. Dan Gardner

Also, I don't know jack diddly squat about the XJ600, but maybe there is something that disables the ignition system(????)

6. HT_Legend

HT_Legend New Member

It's pretty late over here I'm gonna test the spark plugs tomorrow morning to see if they're firing

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Just watched the vid....Yep you need to back to basics. Pull on of the plugs off, hook up the plug wire and make sure you have spark to the plugs. I would pull off 4 myself and make sure you have some good blue spark on all 4. I see you have just hot wired the starter button?

Looks the the full wiring harness upfront is gone? Are you going to a bare bones wiring diagram? If so many links to doing so just look for them. Good luck.

8. old starter

old starter New Member

number one, your home made start button is wired wrong. it needs to be between the power and the start solenoid, it needs to be an open circuit when not pushed. number two, you need to be feeding power to the ignition through the IC box. there is probably no power to the coils to make spark. so you need to fix the start button issue and make sure you have power to the IC box and the coils. when the key is turned on usualy it turns the power on to the IC box and coils.

9. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

how is the starter button hooked up?
    are you utilizing the solinoid?

the oem starter button makes the ground contact when pressed thei makes the solinoid relay close putting power to the starter.

excessive use of starter fluid fouls the spark plugs.