1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ550 Seca Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by Michael R, May 19, 2018.

1. Michael R

Michael R Member

I’ve removed my old front wheel bearings and have two questions on installing new ones -

1. What is the proper sequence of installing the new bearings with the spacer? Left first, or right? The spacer seems to have the flange intact (can’t separate) and I’m not sure how to keep it aligned.

2. The replacement dust seal on the right side seems not as deep as the original. Is this a concern?

2. Michael R

Michael R Member

Ok, i got the new bearings in, but they are now stiff and hard to spin. The spacer is aligned but I can figure out why it is not freely spinning.

Should I loosen them out a bit?

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

how did you install bearings into rims?

put it on axle and spin tire. grease is thick .

4. Michael R

Michael R Member

Tapped them in with the old ones and seated them. Wheel does spin, but I was just surprised that I could not turn the inner races freely with my fingers compared to when I had the new bearings in my hand.

5. XJ550H

did you chill/freeze the bearings before the install?,
    the spacer between the bearings puts lateral pressure on the races. then when you install wheel and torque the axle you will get more pressure.

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

It’s possible to drive them in too far, then the spacer will side load the bearings causing the binding you are feeling. I will usually check them as I go until the center races are just contacting the spacer.

7. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I think it might help to think in terms of what really rotates when fully assembled. In the assembled stage, the inner race is stationary and the outer race is turning as the wheel turns.

8. Michael R

Michael R Member

That’s exactly what I did and have the extra stiffness as you describe. I guess it’s normal then?

9. XJ550H

yes I do think it is normal because the outer race is what turns when riding.

10. jayrodoh

I firmly believe that if you can’t spin the bearing easily with a finger once installed it’s in too far and the spacer is pressing it sideways or side loaded. The balls should ride evenly in the groove or they will wear out prematurely.

854FD7BA-2A9A-41F1-B570-2FCDE32D79E9.jpeg

k-moe likes this.
  11. XJ550H

here 's the rub if the bearings are installed to deep causing them to be sideloaded the bearings fail prematurly. choices: remove bearing and ruin in or run the bearings as installed, and check them with your maintance routine. when bad replace.
    the only way most of us can install a bearing is by chilling them then tapping them in with old bearing as suggested in some manuals or using a large socket to tap them in.
    so there is no way to tell because there is no spec listed as to how far in to go . I make the assumption that Yamaha did not over machine the back side of the hole to fit a feeler in there to see if you are in far enough or to tight. Also no manual I have read states to put a stright edge across the outer portion of bearing and measure clearance.
    it is called real world applications.

he is good to go unless he pounded the hell out of them installing them .

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  12. XJ550H

13. Michael R

Michael R Member

Using my bearing removal tool, i was able to tap out the left side a tad, so it is still flush enough for the tach drive. Movement is a bit better, so I’m going to stick with that and keep an eye on it.

Thanks folks!

14. Michael R

Michael R Member

Followed that, too. What’s interesting is that he says to tap in the new bearings until they go no further.

15. XJ550H

yup thats how its done

16. jayrodoh

Even the service manual does not make any mention of how to install the bearing other than driving it in with a socket that matches the outside diameter. Obviously the bearing will wear quicker if side loaded but I have no idea how much quicker. I wouldn't consider it unsafe but IMHO the bearing should spin smoothly and as easily installed as it does right out of the package.

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The thing about service manuals is that they are written assuming that a trained mechanic is using it (even the consumer service manuals are written that way). Bearings of this type are usually installed so the outer race is flush with the outer face of the bore, that way there is room behind the bearing for a bearing puller to grab the race for removal. In Fitz's writeup (from memory, I'm not where I can read it just now) he uses a socket to drive the bearing into place. The wall of the socket should be wide enough so it can contact both the outer race of the bearing, and the face of the bore. That's what prevents the bearing from being driven too deeply.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  18. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would respectfully disagree with most of these comments and do agree with the referenced write-up in post 12 that the bearing should be driven home to the land. The dimension of the hub, inner spacer, and bearing inner races are such that the clamping forces provided by the collars on the inner races and inner spacer by the axle that is torqued to some 75 foot pounds results in a zero clearance fit. If the bearings are not fully seated then the 75 foot pounds of torque is either going to seat them completely by pushing on the inner races or put unwanted axial (thrust) forces on the bearings inner race.

k-moe, XJ550H and chacal like this.
  19. jayrodoh

I think the best way to describe it is to seat the bearings center race fully against the spacer to avoid side loading when clamped down. I don't think it's even possible to fully seat the outer race in the hub with the spacer in there.

20. XJ550H

the first side you install has room to go in fully.